Friday, May 24, 2013

I feel groggy...

Because I knew Natalie had to begin an internship today, and because I also knew it was going to be some very difficult driving through the mountains she might find intimidating, I decided to try and drive the entire Alaska Highway.  Thus, I drove about 43 hours in three days...which I promise you I thought I was too old for!  It was actually easier than I expected, but, the last couple of hours you drop STRAIGHT down out of the mountains, and it was a harrowing descent, especially after driving that many hours.  The tradeoff is that this drive brings you right next to this glacier...

But we got Natalie to her first day ON TIME this morning, and I set about getting our apartment put together.  My job is to cook, clean and drive while we are here, and I got a fast start today...cleaned our new apartment and got our pantry stocked with stuff, then unpacked all the stuff we brought here.  Everything is set up now, we found a pretty good taco place for dinner, and have enjoyed a very quiet evening here at 'home'.  Our apartment is even nicer than we expected, and the high was 57 today...62 tomorrow and 67 on Saturday. The tradeoff is that there are a lot of grey skies here...it was heavily overcast all day long.  Natalie had a good first day, but was very tired, and a little sorrowed by the sad condition of one of her patients.

That last day of driving was so eventful I will insert parts of that day as I continue to write in the blog.  Natalie will work some on Saturday, and then will have Monday off for Memorial Day...and I am surprising her with some fun stuff I found out about today at the Anchorage Visitors Center...should be an awesome weekend!  Let me throw in this picture of Natalie, taken from somewhere in far, FAR western Canada.  It is strange how it can be so cold (notice the frozen lake in the background) and yet, because of the altitude (I guess) we can be outside in just short sleeves...truly an awesome feeling!

No comments:

Post a Comment