Thursday, June 6, 2013

What a gorgeous day!

I didn't know you could really have sunny days with a high of 70 in June. But it happened here today.  The warm sun is beaming in on us tonight and it is almost 8pm...and the sun is still high in the sky.  I thought you might want to know more about what Natalie is doing in therapy.  I was invited to join the team for lunch today, so I took a photo of Natalie and her boss, Kathie.  I will take this moment to brag just a little bit here before Natalie speaks.  Today, Kathie told her, in front of all the other employees...I would hire you right now.  As a husband, I was VERY proud.  She is learning a lot, but it would be better if she told you, so here she is!

The day before yesterday I realized something inside me had changed. For the first time since I had taken the first steps toward becoming a speech pathologist, I really believed in myself...I thought, "Hey, I can do this!" It was a very happy and refreshing realization. My fantastic supervisor has let me have a lot of freedom with some of the more challenging kids, and I'm proud to say we have received positive results so far.

Most of the kids I see here are on the Autism Spectrum--some more severe than others, and therapy had always been an unfamiliar world into which I was plunged each day...always something new and complicated that I couldn't fully fathom... But I realized you don't have to fully understand everything to do good therapy with the child (or adult) in your care. Sometimes it's all about the small steps, and sometimes you keep persevering to find something that works.

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl!! I completely AGREE with that! This has been such a great clinical experience and could not have come at a better time for any of us!

    ReplyDelete